Comments and inspiration pulled from the fashion industry. My blog reviews fashion trends, magazines, designers, stores, runway shows and more.

Monday, February 26, 2007

A night at the Oscars

What would a fashion blog be without an overview and commentary on who was wearing who at last night's Oscars? After seeing all the gowns walk down the red carpet, my favorite dresses included bold colors and shapes, and soft yet simple elegance.

Hollywood Glamour
Reese Witherspoon wore a layered chiffon gown from Nina Ricci, while Jennifer Lopez wore a silver off the shoulder Marchesa gown with strands of jewels along the neckline. Jennifer Hudson wore a draped brown gown by Oscar de la Renta, and while I'm not sure how I feel about the fashion forward metallic bolero jacket, I loved that her dress had pockets. This is a new element I have been seeing on this spring's dresses and skirts, how fun!

Dramatic Elegance

There were quite a few gowns last night that really stood out thanks to the bold colors, cuts and sparkle. Nicole Kidman's red hot Balenciaga gown had a dramatic draped shoulder that I thought looked a little odd but the color, the body of the dress and the attached scarf were beautiful. My two favorite dresses of the night were worn by Maggie Gyllenhaal and Cameron Diaz. Maggie Gyllenhaal wore a single shoulder Proenza Schouler black and navy satin dress, with a feather trim hem and stripes of sparkle and beads on the bodice. I loved Cameron Diaz's bold yet simplistic white Valentino gown. The dramatic folded, off-the-shoulder neckline and asymmetrical fishtail train was flattering on Diaz, and it made the dress, in my opinion, the most unique gown I saw all night.

I'll leave the best and worst dressed lists for the the men and women of the night to E! Entertainment. I think there were a lot of great dresses that were complimentary to each celebrity, and thankfully there weren't too many fashion don'ts for other commentaries to mock.

No comments: