Comments and inspiration pulled from the fashion industry. My blog reviews fashion trends, magazines, designers, stores, runway shows and more.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wrapping it up

Hi there. If you're just joining us, I've been sharing my stories over the past few blog entries of my first ever buying trip to New York. I went to New York with my friend Juli Blunt, who owns her own store, Fresh Ideas Clothing Company located in Chicago, and we spent the majority of our trip viewiwng the Intermezzo Collections at the Jacob Javitz Convention Center as well as the Show Piers. To wrap up our trip, we spent our third and last day at the New Yorker Hotel viewing a smaller show that had some very promising new designers.

Day Three: Smaller venue, even bigger treasures
On the last day of our trip, I was invited to sit in on a buyers' group meeting at the New Yorker Hotel. I was able to absorb a great deal of quality information about upcoming trends and designers to keep an eye out for. When one designer in particular was mentioned and the entire room of women gasped at the mention of her name, I got out my pen and put a big star next to the designer's name in hopes that we would get to view her collections. Donna Morgan, a designer I had never heard of before but was immediately intruiged.

After the meeting ended, we spent a few hours peaking through the collections featured throughout the hotel. But, the true highlight of my day was finally making it to our apointment at Donna Morgan, our last apointment of the day. Juli and I had our own private viewing of the immediate delivery collections as well as the upcoming fall and holiday collections. If you have read this blog before, you know that I am obsessed (a bit of an exaggerated word there) with dresses for this spring and summer seasons.
After seeing her immediate collection, I fell in love with the colorful and bold graphic prints, as well as the casual yet feminine and sexy structure of each dress. Simply by looking at the dresses on the hanger, you could tell that this designer "got" a woman's body.

If you're as intruiged with Donna Morgan as I first was, dont fret. I'm planning on writing a seperate blog focusing on her as a designer, as well as presenting a few of her and my favorite dresses, so please stay tuned for that.

As soon as our apointment at Donna Morgan ended, I sadly had to jump into a cab and head to the airport to go home. Throughout my time at various airports that day, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about the trip with a giant googely smile on my face. Not only did I have a great time at the shows, but I learned more than I ever expected to simply from observing, participating in the buying process and absorbing as much information as I possibly could. I loved everything I saw and experienced, and I only look forward to starting my career in this industry.

No comments: